To the other side I sprayed red paint and struck an old rusty nail through the paper layer.
Around the eyes I painted flowers a bit in the style of The Day of the Dead. The edges are slightly golded Inka Gold. The teeth I drew with a marker.
Sisäpuolelta kallo näytti tältä.
From the inside the skull looks like this.
I made the "glue paste" by combining liquid glue and water. Since the ratio didn't go quite correctly (there should be significantly less water than glue) I added a bit gesso, so that it became less fluid - and white. Then I glued ripped newspaper pieces with this paste on the cling filmed skull. I got a bit mixed up with counting the layers, but I think I had 4-6 of them. I read a good tip on one side (here, these paper mache skull look so cool!) that it's worth to use different paper with each layer to make distinguish the layers more easily. The skull dried overnight, after which I cut the paper layer in half and detached them from the model. I taped the two pieces together from underneath and spread the last layer of gesso and paper to get the skull back as a whole and at the same time white. Then I started to decorate it.I forgot to take pictures from the step along the way, but the steps were not very cart classes. :) I'm going to make another one for next year - perhaps something more in the style of The Day of the Dead - and maybe with a different model. Since I had to protect the plaster skull quite well, the skull features didn't come out in the same way. Althoughas a centerpiece on the dining table in the Halloween party.
In the picture the plaster skull ha a bat headband I made. I got the idea from Martha Stewart website (here). I made two orange bats in the addition to the black cardboard bats.I'll post some pictures of our Halloween party next!